Pages

Friday, August 17, 2012

Use Your Words Wisely

Use Your Words Wisely “But I tell you that men will have to give account on the day of judgment for every careless word they have spoken. For by your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned.” Matthew 12:36-37 We have all heard the old saying, “sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me.” This old saying is not true however, as words can do as much damage to others as any physical violence could ever do. I had a severe speech problem as I was growing up, and I can recall the hurt and pain that other children caused me during the times that I stuttered. Although many times people do not know the damage that their words do to others, I believe it is important to choose our words carefully as not to offend and hurt someone. I am probably more sensitive to my use of words because of my own personal situation; however it is easy to say things that can hurt others as many times we speak without thinking. Words have started wars, they have destroyed friendships and they have destroyed marriages and families. Words can do damage that can carry over from one generation to another. The scripture above tells us that one day we will be judged for every careless word we have spoken, and this should be an encouragement for us to think before we speak. The words that come from our mouth originates in our hearts, and if our hearts are clean our words will show love, encouragement, joy, happiness and our true character. Our words are like money, as they should be accounted for and not spent unwisely. We need to ask God to give us the understanding and wisdom to cleanse our hearts of any bitterness, anger and malice, and let our tongues show our true character, and let our words be a blessing to others. My Daily Devotional Volume III June 5 Robert William Brock, Jr

No comments:

Post a Comment