Pages

Saturday, May 10, 2014

God Nourishes Our Bodies

God Nourishes Our Bodies "Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in him." Psalm 34:8 Over the years I have always had problems keeping my weight under control, and have had to watch what I eat. There are many instructions given by medical advisers as to how one must keep their weight under control. "Chew each bite twenty times before swallowing. Put your fork down on your plate between each bite. Don't shovel your food." Those who eat quickly and do not chew their food well, are at higher risk of obesity. Frustrated cooks watch with dismay as meals that took hours to prepare are devoured in mere moments. Carefully seasoned casseroles and soups are not tasted before salt and ketchup are poured on liberally. Colorful salads and artistically arranged vegetable dishes are met with disdain, as children and husbands ask if there is any dessert. Our fast-food, fast-paced culture has become a snare to many modern Christians. As we weave through our work schedules, church responsibilities and home life, we are too busy anticipating the next activity to give our full attention to the present moment. By lunchtime, we are focused on tomorrow's calendar, and we are hard-pressed to remember what we ate for breakfast, no matter what we read in God's Word that morning. We are so busy looking for the next exit along the super highway of life that we have no idea where we have been. I can only taste of God's goodness if I take the time to savor that goodness, even if the flavors of that particular moment might be unfamiliar to my spiritual 'palate'. In order for this to happen, I must make the mindful effort to read God's word, pray each day, obey His commands, and make Him first in my life and in all that I do. Physical food nourishes us best when slowly and mindfully eaten, and the same holds true with those truths God speaks to us about as we walk with him daily. Robert W. Brock My Daily Devotional Volume Seven May 10 This is one of the 365 devotionals from my book. It is published by Amazon.com and is available at Amazon.com under the book section.

No comments:

Post a Comment