Pages

Friday, April 19, 2013

Personalize Your Bible

Personalize Your Bible "If the Lord delights in a man's way, he makes his steps firm; thought he stumbles, he will not fall, for the Lord upholds him with his hand." Psalm 37:23 Almost ten years ago, I felt God tugging on my heart to write an encouraging Biblical message and send to a friend who had just lost his father. I had never done anything like this before, but I looked in my Bible and found several encouraging scriptures, and e-mailed them to my friend, and wrote some other encouraging words that tied into the scriptures. A few days later I received a message from him telling me that my words had really helped him get through this terrible time, and that he had asked the pastor to read some of the message I had sent at his father's funeral. This response really touched me, and I believe it was the catalyst that started me writing my daily devotionals. A few days later I wrote several other devotionals based on my favorite scriptures and began sending these to my family and close friends. I struggled during this time trying to write messages that were encouraging, not really knowing how and what to write about. I am sure many of these were meaningless to my family, and looking back they were not well written. However, during this time, I discovered, that as I struggled to write a message on a scripture, I loved applying the scripture to my own life, as the scripture became real and personal to me. I remember my uncle Robert, who was a Bible Scholar, telling me that he would write a scripture and then apply it to his life. This was exactly what I was finding out in this process. I would like to encourage you today to try this simple exercise. Find a scripture that you like and spend the day making it personal, and applying it to your life. You will find that your Bible will come alive. My Daily Devotional Volume Six April 19 Robert William Brock, Jr. If you want to get your own personal copy of My Daily Devotional Volume Six containing all 365 daily devotionals for 2013 it is available at Amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment