Pages

Monday, September 7, 2015

Think Of Others

Think Of Others "Do not say to your neighbor, Come back later; I'll give it tomorrow--when you now have it with you." Proverbs 3:28 Each time I read this scripture, I always think of my mother and her giving spirit. My mother has always been my example, when I think about the attitude that God wants each of us to have about giving to others. Although she has never had much to give, she will give anyone anything that she has, if she sees they are in need. This same trait was so evident in my grandfather as well, as he always was a giver throughout his life. I believe this is one of the most important gifts that God can give someone, to have their hearts focused on how they can help others. Greed, which is thinking of yourself first, is one of the deadly sins that the Bible teaches us about, and prevents so many people from giving as God commands. The Bible tells us not to store up worldly possessions, which will not last and will rot and rust away, but to give with a free heart. In our society, many people spend all their lives trying to build up their nest eggs, and accumulate as much wealth as they possibly can, not thinking about others, who are less fortunate. It has been proven throughout history, that wealth does not provide happiness, as many of the wealthiest people have died in misery and depressed. It is perfectly all right to provide for our families, but not to store up riches, and let our wealth become our gods. Our minds and our hearts must not become consumed with material things, and become a distraction from our walk with God. When we see people in need, we must open our hearts to them and reach out to them. This is the way Jesus commands us to live, with thoughts about others, instead of fulfilling all the desires of our hearts. Don't let your wealth become your God. Robert William Brock My Daily Devotional Volume Seven September 7

No comments:

Post a Comment