Pages

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Blinded By The Future

Blinded By The Future “Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it.” Isaiah 43:18-19 The other day as I was doing our daily mail route I was reminded how often our past blinds us from our future. After experiencing several weeks of overcast and rainy days, suddenly the bright rays of the sun were shining so brightly through the window of my car that they momentarily blinded me. To regain my vision I began looking back through my rear view mirror. This “blinding encounter” made me think about life, and how so often we take our eyes off of the road ahead, and the good things that God is doing in our lives. We begin looking back in the mirror, and so often we take our eyes off of God and we see ourselves and our past in the mirror. It is these times when we begin looking back that we see the past and the mistakes we have made, the dashed dreams, the expectations that weren’t met, and all the disappointments of our lives. We are too often blinded by what God has in store for us in the future that we revert to looking back into our past. This is what the Israelites did when they were in the wilderness, as they were so blinded by what lay ahead of them that they continued to look back at their past. God has a plan for each of us, and wants us to look at the bright road ahead that He has planned for us. He does not want us to be trapped in the past, but to look at the shining future He has in store for us. Today I would encourage each of you to think about what is binding you to your past, and forget it, but focus instead on God’s shining light in front of you and your future. Jeremiah 29:11 “For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you. Plans to give you a hope and a future.” My Daily Devotional Volume III March 19 Robert William Brock, Jr.

No comments:

Post a Comment