Pages

Sunday, September 14, 2014

Perseverance

Perseverance “Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance” James 1:2-3 I have always loved to play golf, and began playing when I was in college, and played on the golf team. I have been fortunate to have played on many of the best known golf courses in the country, even getting to play at the Augusta Golf Course in Augusta, Georgia where the Master's championship is played each April. When I play I like to be on the fairway but unfortunately we find ourselves sometimes in the sand trap. There are things, that can get us off course such as an illness, loss of a job, a bad relationship, financial difficulties, the list could go on. But the important thing is how do we recover from the pitfalls of life. Getting out of the sand takes perseverance, and many times it is difficult to recover from some of the tragic circumstances we find ourselves in. I can remember my grandmother who, experienced several difficult times, such as breaking her leg while working in her garden. My grandmother was a very tough lady and simply reset the leg herself, and continued about her work. She didn't let things slow her down, but persevered. Perseverance means steadily persisting to reach your goal despite how you feel, despite the obstacles that get in the way. The apostle Peter, admonishes us to diligently add perseverance to our faith. That is accomplished through fighting the battles with God’s help, confident that he will do what he promised he would do. My grandmother persevered, and I learned from her example. When you find yourself in the sand trap, remember God is with you through your troubles. He will never leave you nor forsake you. His strength to help is readily available. Ask and he will provide. Keep your focus on God, persevere and you will reach the green. Robert W. Brock My Daily Devotional Volume Seven September 14

No comments:

Post a Comment