Pages

Friday, December 23, 2011

Fishing With God

Fishing With God

"Plans fail for lack of counsel, but with many advisers they succeed."
Proverbs 15:22

As I was growing up, I spent many wonderful days with my grandfather fishing on the Cumberland River. My grandfather loved to fish, and was an accomplished fisherman, as he rarely went fishing when he didn't catch fish. Peter was also a fisherman, and as I read the story of the disciples who went fishing, after Jesus had risen from the dead, I think about my grandfather. I can recall several times where we would be in the boat fishing, and my grandfather would be catching fish, but I would not even be getting a nibble. He would finally tell me, as I would be getting discouraged, where to cast my hook, and soon I would be catching fish. After Peter had fished all night, and had not caught anything, Jesus appeared on the beach and told them to cast their nets on the right side of the boat. When they obeyed Jesus and cast their nets as He commanded, they caught so many fish that their nets were breaking. So often in life we fish outside the will of God, which is equivalent to fishing on the wrong side of the boat. We often struggle, strive, work, and strain, trying to make something great happen. We try to change things, and oftentimes try to change ourselves. We try to get a better job, and think that having more money will make things better. We try to make ourselves healthier by going on many different diets. We may even try to change our spouse in the hope that things will improve. However, the answer to most of our problems is that we don't listen to God. When you don't walk with God in your life, and try to do things yourself, you will most likely fail. When you begin to listen to God, spend time with Him, make Him first in your life, He will tell you where to cast your nets.
My Daily Devotional Volume Six
April 1
Robert William Brock, Jr.

No comments:

Post a Comment