Pages

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

My Mentors

My Mentors

"The teaching of the wise is a fountain of life, turning a man from the snares of death."
Proverbs 13:14

As I have written my daily devotionals for the past 10 years, I am constantly reminded of all the wise and Godly mentors that have been part of my life. Both my grandfathers, and my grandmother, and my mother have all played such an important role in making me the person I am today, and influenced so much of what I try to replicate in my life each day. My father was killed in World War II, and I missed not having him as a mentor, but my life has been blessed with the others who raised me, and always taught me so much of what a Godly man should be. These precious people, by their wise counsel, have helped me grow in faith, in family life, in work, and in life in general. As I write my devotionals I am always constantly reminded, just how much these people have meant, in helping me grow in an understanding of the Christian life. The Bible is filled with wonderful mentoring relationships, such as Jethro to Moses, Elijah to Elisha, Barnabas to the Apostle Paul, Jesus to the Twelve Disciple, and Pricilla and Aquila to Apollos. As I write my devotionals each day, I am always aware of the many contributions my mentors have made in my life, and almost always think about how they would address the situations I face each day as I write. I am so grateful to have had them in my life, and would not be the person I am today without their influence. Today, I want you to think about the mentors that have touched your life. Think about what they have taught you, how they were positioned in your life, at the right time, and think about all the wisdom you learned from their teaching. Be grateful to them, and honor them by passing on to others what the Spirit has passed to you, through them.
My Daily Devotional Volume Six
March 26
Robert William Brock, Jr.

No comments:

Post a Comment