Pages

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Stick To The Fundamentals

Stick To The Fundamentals

"But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well."
Matthew 6:33

I can still remember my basketball coach in college telling me to stick to the fundamentals, during one of our championship games. It was a close game, and I was expecting the coach to come up with a new play that would give us a quick score, but he said to simply stick to the fundamentals. We did as he said and won the game, as this was always his philosophy. The same philosophy, I have found is true, in our walk with God. When the pressures, and stresses of everyday life, begin to build up in our lives, we need to keep to the fundamentals of our faith. I have learned during my own life, that one of the fundamentals in keeping my faith fresh and alive, is keeping my relationship with God first in my life. The scripture above is my reinforcement to keeping God first in my life, as He tells me that these other things will be given to me as well, if I make Him first. He even gave me His greatest commandment, which says to make Him first. The ways of the world, and all the temptations that Satan throws at us daily, can cause us to get away from the fundamentals of our faith, if we don't have God walking beside us, keeping us on track. We can't let the issues, problems, and trials of daily living, come between us and God. It is easy to get sidetracked, have our schedules so full of things to do, and become caught up in the busyness of the world that we don't spend time with God. The fundamentals of your faith is that you spend time with God each day, therefore, before each day begins, ask God to fill you with His Holy Spirit. Then by faith, allow Him to guide your life daily, and stick to the fundamentals, and win.
My Daily Devotional Volume Six
April 5
Robert William Brock, Jr.

No comments:

Post a Comment