Pages

Sunday, December 8, 2013

Boasting And Toasting

Boasting and Toasting "It is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God--not by works, so that no one can boast." Ephesians 2:8 I had an old friend at one of my hospitals who, used to say, “When we learn better, we do better.” However, I am also learning that some things are harder to learn especially when it comes to pride. I’m as guilty as anyone of succumbing to boastfulness, and all during my writing I constantly find that I am using the "I" word more than I should. I know that I cannot do anything myself, as God is directing my life, and I should give him credit for everything, but that "I" word keeps popping up. I will continue doing battle with it each day, but it doesn't go away. I like what the old radio comedian Fred Allen once said: “Some movie stars wear their sunglasses even in church. They’re afraid God might recognize them and ask for autographs.” Ouch! But, of course, it’s not just movie stars who get carried away with their own importance. The apostle Paul wants us to know that such pride has no place in the work of salvation. We can’t take any satisfaction in earning favor with God--because we can’t earn it at all! We can only “boast” in the work of Christ on our behalf, and “toast” the loving heart that went to the cross for us. So, is there nothing for us to do? Paul says it perfectly: “We are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do” (Ephesians 2:10). In other words, now that we are children of the king . . . let’s act like it. Give God credit for everything, don't take credit for anything yourself, keep your focus on God, and always thank him for all the blessings He bestows on you each day. Make Him first in all that you do, and give Him credit. Robert W. Brock My Daily Devotional Volume Six December 8

No comments:

Post a Comment