Pages

Friday, December 6, 2013

Gone Fishing

Gone Fishing "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men'" Matthew 4:19, As I was growing up, I loved to go fishing, and me and my grandfather would spend most of the summer days fishing in the Cumberland River, in my beautiful state of Kentucky. We were always successful in catching fish, as my grandfather was an expert fisherman, and always knew where to go, and what kind of bait to use to catch fish. Many of the Disciples of Jesus were also fishermen, and made their living by fishing, as they knew what they were doing also and probably were experts at it. But, there was one day that would change their lives forever! That was the day that Jesus came passing by. These men had already met Jesus (John 1:40-42), but now they received an invitation that was really too great to turn down. They left their occupations to follow Him. Yes, there would be difficult times, but the learning experience and the life-changing experiences they would encounter would be well worth it. They became some of the greatest "fishers of men" this world and the Kingdom of God has ever seen. They gave up what they enjoyed doing to follow Jesus, as He offered them much more than they had, He offered them salvation. In today's society what would happen if someone suddenly came by and asked you to give up your occupation and follow them? I am confident that most would not take heed and would stay where they were. I became one of those "fishers of men" many years ago, when Jesus called me also, and I love casting my "line" in the waters now and see the bountiful harvest of souls for the Lord. Believe me, it has been well worth it. Jesus is also calling you today and will also make you "fishers of men." Let Him give you this same salvation. Robert W. Brock My Daily Devotional Volume Six December 6

No comments:

Post a Comment