Pages

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Don't Love The World

Don't Love The World

"Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him."
1st John 2:15

Early on in my career I had one of my board members, who was a very wealthy man, and was well respected in the community, ask me to purposefully misrepresent a financial statement, because it would make the hospital look better for a bond issue which was about to go public. I knew this was the wrong thing to do, and told him that I would not do it, as it was illegal. He stated that businesses did this kind of thing all the time, however I resisted and did not give in to his demands. I remember asking him if he was a Christian, which he immediately said yes, and told me that he attended church every Sunday, and was even a deacon in his church. I asked him if he thought this was a Christian thing to do, and his reply was that this was a business decision instead of a religious issue. I am afraid that there are too many people like this in our society, who are only Sunday morning Christians. They put on a front to everyone, but when it comes to really acting out their faith, they fall short, as the worldly things are more of a priority in their lives than their spiritual priorities. You cannot have one foot in the world, and another foot with God. You cannot straddle the fence and be Christian sometimes and not at other times. You have to be Christian all the times, and even when you are faced with doing right or wrong, you can never compromise your values and standards, regardless of what pressures come to bear. You must cast off worldly thoughts and realize that the world will damage and destroy you if you let it.

No comments:

Post a Comment