Pages

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Anxious Thoughts

Anxious Thoughts

"Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts."
Psalm 139:23

I often get messages from my readers telling me that they have difficulty dealing with various issues because they can't get them off their mind, and worry so much that they literally become depressed. God wants us not to worry, but trust in him for all things, but often that's easier said than done, as all too often distracting and anxious thoughts creep in and destroy whatever peace we may have. The entire Psalm 139 is a beautiful prayer telling us to trust in God for everything, and that God knows all things about us, even all the details of our life. There is nothing that is hidden from Him or that He does not know. This should be enough encouragement for us to trust Him in all things, and should let us know that He is in control. But even as beautiful as this Psalm is and encouraging, David's mind wandered as in verse 19 he says, "If only you would slay the wicked, O God! Away from me, you bloodthirsty men!" David's tone goes from encouraging words to anxious ones, as he suddenly is worried. Being worried and anxious is something even David had trouble with, as he was either praising God, and on the mountain top, or was feeling dejected, and asking for prayer, and down in the valley. I want to encourage you today, that if you are struggling with worry and being anxious in any situation in your life, that God knows about this situation, and is well aware of your struggles with worry and being anxious. The answer to your worry is to pray just like David did, and ask God to search your heart, and cleanse it from worry and your anxious thoughts. Ask Him to take away anything that is coming between your peaceful relationship with God and your trust in Him for all things.
My Daily Devotional Volume Six
May 6
Robert William Brock, Jr.

No comments:

Post a Comment