Pages

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Harry's Tree

Harry’s Tree This week I received an e-mail from the secretary of the company we work with in doing our mail service, telling me that Harry, one of our dear friends had passed away. This was a man that we had met each day for over 10 years to deliver our mail to. He loved to talk and we would spend several minutes each day talking as much as we could, even with the tight schedule we both were on in getting the mail to the office to be presorted. We met each other for all those years under a maple tree by the side of the road. He had been stricken with cancer for the past several years and was not able to work, but even during this time when we would pass this tree we were reminded of him, and the time we shared together. The brief time we spent with each other on a daily basis reminds me just how precious life really is, and how just a few moments each day talking with someone can make a lasting impact on all of us. Harry was a man that during his time on earth made an impact on many people, not through his achievements or stature in life but by the caring attitude he had for people. Each day we would hug each other before we left and tell each other to be careful. Harry made an impact on our children and grandchildren in this manner. Harry liked to talk to people and often was late meeting us because of this, but we understood and got to expect his late arrivals. I would encourage each of you to cherish these kinds of brief encounters with the Harry’s you meet daily as these are times that can make an impact on your life. I was able to share the Gospel with Harry during these times and gave him a copy of one of my first Daily Devotional after it was published. I know that both my wife and I and my family will miss him, and will always remember Harry’s Tree. God tells us to be kind to one another, showing our love to others and making this kind of impact on the people we meet. We can make an impact on people in this way by showing that we care. My Daily Devotional Volume III April 7 Robert William Brock, Jr.

No comments:

Post a Comment