Pages

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

We Can Learn From Others

We Can Learn From Others “God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.” James 4:6 When I was in high school my grandmother gave me some advice that I will never forget. She said to study hard in school, and learn as much as I could, as the more knowledge I obtained would follow me throughout my life, and help me in whatever I did. I have found that this is so true as we learn so much from others who have walked farther with the Lord than we have. Seeking Godly counsel is important to every new Christian, as each of us can learn from others, who are more experienced than we are in their walk with God. When we seek wisdom from others, we need to do so with an attitude of humility, as depicted in the scripture above. God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble. As Christians, no matter how long we have walked with God, we must remain open to the input of others. Peter gives us good advice in 1st Peter 5:5 “Young men, in the same way be submissive to those who are older. All of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, because, God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.” We should always continue to read and study God’s word to assure ourselves that we have the wisdom and knowledge that God teaches us in order to live a Godly life, however we can always learn from others who are ahead of us in their spiritual walk, as they are on the next level in acquiring the wisdom of God. We can never be too proud to heed their advice and seek their knowledge, as we can gain so much wisdom from them. We need to have our own personal relationship with God, and look to him for wisdom and guidance in making our own decisions, but we need to seek confirmation and clarity from others to confirm that the decisions we make are right.   Robert W. Brock My Daily Devotional Volume Seven February 12

No comments:

Post a Comment