Pages

Monday, March 23, 2015

A Mistake Or A Sin

A Mistake Or A Sin "Dear friend, do not imitate what is evil but what is good." 3rd John 1:11 One of my readers send me an e-mail asking what the difference was between a mistake and a sin. After some thought I sent him this message hoping to enlighten him. A mistake is when you add baking powder, instead of baking soda to a recipe, miss a typo in an email, drop your cell phone in the washing machine, or hit the gas pedal instead of the brake pedal. It is not something you do intentionally, or with any malice or thought about hurting someone else. However a sin is when you chose to do wrong, while knowing that it is wrong. A sin usually begins with a selfish decision. I deserve to have my perceived need met, even at the detriment of others. I can take the pen from my office, because the company can afford it. I can cheat on my taxes. I can take the credit for someone else who had a great idea at my office. I can lie about a mistake I made, so I don't get in trouble. I can be rude to the teller at the bank. I can cut off that guy in traffic, and say bad things about them. I can resent the person who gets more limelight than I do, and gets the raise and promotion. I don't want to take responsibility for the consequences of my actions, therefore I can lie, misdirect, lay the blame on someone else, and expect them to clean up my mess. Don't allow yourself to be a poor example to those around you, by pulling out the “mistake” card when you know your actions stemmed from a deliberate self-driven sinful motivation. Call sin a sin. Jesus died for our sins, and there is forgiveness at the Cross. There is nothing we can admit to, and repent from, that cannot be covered by His blood. Although the words 'mistake' and 'sin' are not synonymous, there is good news, as forgiveness was bought for our sins, and God makes beautiful things from the ashes of our lives. Robert W. Brock My Daily Devotional Volume Seven​ March 23

No comments:

Post a Comment