Pages

Monday, December 20, 2010

My Daily Devotional

The Lord’s Prayer

“Our Father which art in heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in Heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our sins, as we forgive those who sin against us. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Amen
Luke 11:2-4

Christians think of this prayer as The Lord’s Prayer, the model prayer and the prayer that gives direction. The disciples had asked Jesus to teach them how to pray and He gave them this prayer. Jesus also used parts of this same prayer in His Sermon on the Mount. Jesus tells us throughout the Bible to pray without ceasing. When our heart is so heavy with all our problems, this is the time that most people turn to Jesus, however we need to turn to Him also in the good times as well. I am reminded of a story about a small boy who had been having nightmares and his grandmother began saying a prayer for him before he went to sleep. After a few nights his nightmares went away, and after several nights he said to his grandmother “I don’t need to pray tonight, as I no longer have any nightmares, and there is no longer need to have God take care of me.” Later on that night, the little boy woke up crying hysterically; his nightmares had returned. His grandmother rushed to his bedside, and his first words were I want to pray so God can hear me. He then prayed and in just a few minutes he was fast asleep. The little boy learned an important life lesson, and that is that trouble can teach us to pray, as so often we only go to God in prayer, when we have problems. God’s prayer has so much more to offer than to help with problems, as it covers so much of what God promises us. I would encourage each of you to pray to God each and every day of your life in the way that God has instructed us to pray, His prayer.

(Many of my readers have asked if my Daily Devotionals have been published and if they could purchase them. The Devotionals I am posting are from My Daily Devotional Volume III which was published in 2009 and can be purchased at amazon.com or from me at robbrock@comcast.net)

No comments:

Post a Comment