Pages

Saturday, August 24, 2013

Bless Your Children

Bless Your Children “The righteous man leads a blameless life; blessed are his children after him. Proverbs 20:7 I have thought about this scripture for the past ten years, and think about my great grandfather who was a Methodist minister in our hometown of Pineville, Kentucky. He had been a minister and schoolteacher for over 50 years, and was one of the most well known men in our small community. I have researched this family for many years and discovered that they came to the United States in the early 1500’s. During my research I discovered that his father was also a Methodist minister, and also his father’s father. There were eight generations straight where one of the children had become a Methodist minister and had followed in his father’s footsteps. This demonstrates so well how this scripture can influence families. When parents teach their children in the way of the Lord their children and their children’s children are blessed. Parents have a big responsibility to teach our children about God, and when we do our jobs, our children will follow in their parents footsteps. I also discovered that during these eight generations there were no divorces in any of the children’s families during this time. This demonstrates what can happen to a family where God is at the center of the family, and the children are brought up in a home where God is worshipped and honored. God blesses the home where he is present. I know this has been true in my own family, as all my children are serving the Lord in their homes, and my grandchildren are living their lives for God. There is not a greater gift we can give to our children, than to live our lives for God. They will see the peace and joy God is giving us, and will also want this for their lives as well. My Daily Devotional Volume Six August 24 Robert William Brock, Jr.

No comments:

Post a Comment