Pages

Saturday, December 27, 2014

Is God Your Physician

Is God Your Physician "A prudent man keeps his knowledge to himself, but the heart of fools blurts out folly." Proverbs 12:23 Having worked in health care for 45 years, I saw much improvement in medical care as compared to when I began. Most patients now consider themselves informed even before they walk into their doctor's office. Nevertheless, even the most educated patient must submit to their physician's prescribed treatment plan in order to ensure a positive outcome. At times, they require minor temporary inconveniences, such as a course of antibiotics, ointments or a daily pill to be swallowed. At other times, a radical change in lifestyle is required. On occasion, surgery is necessary. Many patients shake the doctor's hand, thank them for the diagnosis and head out to get a second opinion. God is our true great physician, and we go to Him often with our problems, but seeking a second opinion is a pointless exercise. Oh how we try to find the loopholes as God's patients. Although our lives are in shambles, and we live in pain every day, we balk at the prescription God lays before us, especially when that prescription involves dying to self. When you listen to His advice and promise to work with Him, are you tempted to sneak a few "buts" into the equation? Lord, heal my marriage, but I honestly don't want to compromise any more than I have already. Lord, I want to draw closer to you in intimacy, but don't make me give up my favorite TV show. Lord, I want to see people come into the kingdom, but can't I just send in a check and let someone else do it? Lord, please help me lose weight, take away my desire for food, let the pounds drop off, but don't make me have to exercise self control. Perhaps you've never actually spoken those prayers, but you have thought them. If you ask the Lord to perform surgery in your life, home or family are you willing to do the rehab and follow His prescriptions? My Daily Devotional Volume Seven December 27

No comments:

Post a Comment