Pages

Sunday, January 2, 2011

My Daily Devotional

God Is Dependable

“After the death of Moses the servant of the Lord, the Lord said to Joshua son of Nun, Moses’ aide: Moses my servant is dead. Now then, you and all these people, get ready to cross the Jordan River into the land I am about to give to them—the Israelites. I will give you every place where you set your foot, as I promised Moses.”
Joshua 1:-3

When I read the scripture above, I am reminded that people disappoint us so much. They let us down, and we never get used to being disappointed. We may trust a friend to help with a particular situation, but they are too busy to assist us. Our bosses may disappoint us by promoting someone else to a particular job. Even our church family may not visit us or phone us when we are sick and are not at church. Our father may not take us to a ball game or fishing like he promised. We have all experienced disappointments such as these throughout our lives. We can see that the children of Israel had a long history of dependence based on disappointment. They had a great leader Moses, but leaned on him too much. When things went wrong, they complained to Moses and wanted him to take care of their needs. When things went bad they kept reminding Moses of their suffering and blamed him for taking them out of Egypt. Despite the miracles of God, they kept depending upon Moses to take care of them, and were disappointed in him. Our friends, our church family, our co-workers and even our own family members are going to disappoint us at some time. There is only one person that will never disappoint us, however, and that is God. There is no one in our lives that we can depend on to take care of us completely, and that will not let us down in some way. But God tells us that He will never let us down; that we can depend upon Him at all times.

(Many of my readers have asked if my Daily Devotionals have been published and if they could purchase them. The Devotionals I am posting are from My Daily Devotional Volume III which was published in 2009 and can be purchased at amazon.com or from me at robbrock@comcast.net)

No comments:

Post a Comment