Pages

Sunday, January 9, 2011

My Daily Devotional

The Book of Proverbs

“The Proverbs of Solomon Son of David, King of Israel: for attaining wisdom and discipline; for understanding words of insight; for acquiring a disciplined and prudent life, doing what is right and just and fair.”
Proverbs 1:1-3

I love the book of Proverbs because its scriptures give prudence to the simple; knowledge and discretion to the young, and they make wise men wiser. They will guide you into a happy and prosperous life. Acquiring wisdom and knowing how to avoid the pitfalls of folly will lead to health and success. Although Proverbs is a practical book dealing with the art of living, it bases wisdom solidly on the fear of the Lord. Throughout the book this reverence for God is set forth as the path to life and security. People must trust in the Lord and not in themselves. For example, the references to the “tree of life” recall the joyful bliss of the Garden of Eden, and tell us that the one who finds wisdom will be greatly blessed. The book in addition to telling us about the way of wisdom, also tells us the paths of violence and immorality. But most of all the scripture in this book leads me to wisdom, and tells me how to handle many of the problems that will confront me. When I have trouble of any kind, I usually can find some scripture in Proverbs that will give me the wisdom to handle the situation, or know better how to deal with it. Each scripture is thought provoking, and even though many are short they have a much broader meaning. They make you think and reflect on what the writer is saying. The book of Proverbs urges people to get wisdom, for it is worth more than silver or gold and it leads us to a loving reverence for God that includes submission to His lordship and the commands of his word. I would encourage each of you to spend some time each day acquiring wisdom from this great book.

(Many of my readers have asked if my Daily Devotionals have been published and if they could purchase them. The Devotionals I am posting are from My Daily Devotional Volume III which was published in 2009 and can be purchased at amazon.com or from me at robbrock@comcast.net)

No comments:

Post a Comment