Pages

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Are You Ready

Are You Ready

"Teach us to number our days aright, that we may gain a heart of wisdom."
Psalm 90:12

This past summer, Margaret and I visited the local cemetery and purchased our cemetery plots. Not that we have any immediate plans to use them, but we wanted to spare our children the trouble of having to go through this, when our time does come. It has been an interesting experience, as occasionally we will drive by to show some member of our family where we are going to be buried. Each time we drive by, it makes me think more consciously about the days remaining for me, whether they be few or many, and whether God has fulfilled His purpose for my life, or if there is something else He wants me to do. "The Lord will fulfill his purpose for me." Psalm 138:9 Whatever God's plan is for me, I am comfortable with it, as if His plan for me is complete, I will be overjoyed to again see my loved ones who have gone before me. If He still has more work for me to do, I will also be contented, and I will be as good a servant as I can be to finish whatever else He has in store. These kind of unanswered questions are in no way morbid or negative things to talk about, but rather are realistic and truthful. Unless the Lord returns soon, and takes us in the rapture, we will all physically die and face this future, as only God knows when His plan has been fulfilled for us. We need to keep reminding ourselves that tomorrow is not promised to any of us, and our most important task is to make sure we are ready. Whether God's plan is complete, or whether He has other things for us to do, is irrelevant, as where we will spend our eternity is all that matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment