Pages

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Are You Content

Are You Content

"I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances."
Philippians 4:11

Several years ago, I knew a man who was on my board of trustees. He was very wealthy and successful, the envy of all his friends and business associates. He had the big house, the big car, belonged to all the popular civic associations and the country club. Over the years I got to know him very well, and through my talks with him, it was obvious that he was very miserable inside, and that there was something missing in his life. His wealth had not been able to fill the empty place in his heart. I also had another good friend, at this time, who was always happy, with a big smile on his face all the time, that was contented with his place in life. He struggled every month to make ends meet financially, as he worked faithfully at a near minimum wage, to support his family. This man had very little wealth, but was as contented as he could be. He attended church, worshipped God, and even was on the chaplaincy committee at the hospital, and visited our patients regularly each week. When I read the scripture above I was reminded of the contrast between these two men, and convinced that the second man was really the rich man. Although he had very little in the form of material possessions and wealth, he had learned to be thankful for everything that God had given him. Wealth and material possessions does not provide happiness and joy, but the spirit of Jesus in your heart, will provide an abundance of happiness and joy and contentment in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment