Pages

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

True Christian Virtues

True Christian Virtues

"If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching. My father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him."
John 14:23

Throughout my life, I have seen people go to church on Sunday, and are the most loving, kind, always smiling and pleasant people to be around, that I could hope for. They were the example of people that you wanted to know and have as your friends. However, I have also seen these same people in their work places, their schools and in their neighborhoods be a completely different person, who were harsh, bitter, angry, never having a smile on their faces, and not being the example I wanted to pattern myself after. This is what I call the "Sunday Morning Christian." I believe the acid test for any Christian is how they live when they are away from the church. How you act with your friends, your coworkers, your classmates, your neighbors, and all others you come into contact with, defines you as a true Christian. How you live around others, not just at church on Sunday, is the defining characteristic of how God wants each of us to live our lives. Our family, our friends and our neighbors see us as we really are. They see us when we are tired, stressful, sick, worried and under pressure. If you are a true Christian, you will not give way during these times to bad temper, impatience, faultfinding, sarcasm, unkindness, selfishness or laziness. Instead each day you will display the fruits of the Spirit which is "love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control." How different would your life be if you consistently practiced these Christian virtues?
My Daily Devotional Volume V
December 20
Robert William Brock, Jr.

No comments:

Post a Comment